Friday, October 1, 2010

Resting Up

I missed my maxi-taxi to the big city tonight, and instead of trying to forge a less traveled path through Maramures, I decided to take a hint from fate and have a night in. It is probably for the best anyways, as this week has been a bit taxing.

After two-weeks of awesome behavior,my third graders turned into the savage kindergartners from the cartoon, "Recess" and proceeded to run around the room hitting and screaming at eachother as I helplessly yelled, "stati jos" (sit down). I probably had it coming, considering how smug I had been about how good they were for me, while the religion teacher had previously had so much trouble with them that the police had been called in to scare them. Oh, and yes, they do teach religion in public schools in Romania. Additionally, just yesterday I a visit from my boss, or bosses actually, which was really great, since I had not yet had any guests, but still taxing. They sat in one of my classes.

This week has been my first week splitting classes with Raluca since I now have my own classroom. I have found having my own room to be very beneficial despite the fact that it is oddly long and skinny. First off, it means I don't have to remember where all the classes are, as in the Romanian systen the teachers move from class to class, and secondly I feel like I have more control, since now the kids come to my turf instead of me being on theirs.

So tonight I have been catching up on old "Weeds" episodes, and tomorrow I will try my luck once again at the whole Romanian transportation game. If it is anything as cold as it was today, I will actually succeed at buying winter clothes, which would be nice, since the drop in temperature is surely a sign that I am not far away from the reality of an Eastern European winter. Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear how classes have been going! Hope you get what you need for the winter weather!

    ReplyDelete